Friday, September 09, 2011

Procrastinate? Moi?

Whilst procrastinating today - avoiding marking again - I achieved the following:

- 9.30 am. With the erudite curiosity of a PhD student, read the small print leaflet in a packet of "Menopause Harmony";
- wrote an email to a cousin in France, who I haven't contacted for sixteen months;
- encouraged, via Edumail, a teaching friend to read several blogs and start her own;
- discovered that T2 Earl Grey tea, brewed in a pot, keeps piping hot and at perfect strength for hours in a thermos, thus obviating the need for a tea cosy, boiled water and forty seconds in the microwave on the second and subsequent cups;
- Googled correct use of the term 'albeit' to confirm that it isn't a replacement for 'despite' but a rather for 'despite being'. (Felt the need to find an appropriate website to share with a Year 12 student who keeps misusing the word);
- discovered, in the Narnian depths of my wardrobe, a cardigan, bought in Italy in 1985. Furthermore, found that said cardigan, worn over a Bonds hoodie, with hood up, precludes the need for a heater in my kitchen while I'm marking, thus saving on heating costs;
- read the side of a packet of Ferro-F-Tabs to realise I shouldn't be taking an iron supplement for more than twelve months without seeking medical attention. Stopped short of Googling, again to find out why;
- put head to one side and with a bemused expression on my face, pondered my need to record all this, thereby further interrupting my marking;
- counted my 'marked' pile - 6 in two hours - and my 'unmarked' - 21;
- devised a numbered checklist so I could cross off a number every time I completed marking an essay to stop myself obsessively counting through the pile - did it anyway to see if I'd forgotten to cross any off;
- considered the tenuous similarity between marking and knitting given that I count off knitted rows in much the same way, except faster;
- visited the furthest rather than the nearest lavatory in the house several times;
- remarked on the curious nexus between the drinking of a litre of piping hot tea from a thermos and the frequency of micturition;
- thought longingly of champagne as I gazed at the flutes in my kitchen dresser. (12.05 pm. Nineteen essays still to mark.)
- Googled, unsuccessfully, to see if a student had cheated on his essay. Quite sure he didn't write it but Google wasn't letting on;
- Experienced an almost orgasmic rush when I realised I had forgotten to cross off essays on my list. I had eleven, not fourteen to go. ('Menopause Harmony' must, as promised, have restored my libido.)
- Made second litre of tea;
- wondered whether I was perhaps overdosing on tea, but congratulated myself on denying another Google opportunity and resuming my marking;
- assigned 'blues' ringtone, on my iPhone, to my son;
- went for two k walk;
- organised my laundry.

Finally completed marking twenty-seven On The Waterfront essays at 4.43. Now I can whinge about having spent my whole day off marking. Sort of.

Fraud.

5 comments:

Jo McLeay said...

Love the fact that you have a student who uses the term 'albeit'

Judith Middlemarch said...

Albeit incorrectly!! Hi Jo.

Stella said...

Fabulous! I have not even thought about doing marking, so you have achieved much much more than me. I stayed in bed till 12 and read. Then walked the dog, then washed the sheets, then sat on the couch and read again. . . then got depressed coz tomorrow's Monday and i have to go to work again. Clearly I am crazy coz I have NO work lined up for next term yet, and really love this job, but still I sit here going, "Damn, school tomorrow. Should I do some prep?"

All up I think you've done very well. Yay you! Have some champagne.
TWO weeks till the end of term. Yeehaa!

blogsmith? said...

Oh, seriously, that is funny as all... well, you know. I think I have done all those things, except I'd have to substitute other dubious vitamins for the menopausal madness tablets. More people should read this, so they can laugh, a lot, and identify with how that work just stretches out through the whole day!

Judith Middlemarch said...

Hope you didn't make 9 hours out of a 3 hour pile today.

Nearly finished my first post diet lime, bitters and lemonade chardy BTW.

Cheers for reading.